LNY performances- Gr. 10, Gr. 12
Celebrate Western- Gr. 12
Title of Activity: Guzheng Lessons + Musical performances at Western Canada High School
Number of hours spent on this activity:586 hours
1. Briefly describe the CAS activity. Who did you work for? What did you hope to accomplish?
This is a Creative activity in which I attended on Friday of each week to learn Guzheng lessons. I take Guzheng lessons from Miss Shirley Wong. My incentive for this activity is to continue my Guzheng skills from when I left China, and also to enhance my skills and to learn more songs.
My Guzheng teacher's teaching room
2. What was the outcome of the activity? Did you accomplish your goals?
- I became a patient and calm person
- learned that it is normal to experience lag in improvement
- learned to tolerate feeling of disappointment
- passed grade 7 Guzheng exam
- performed at various shows in Western Canada High School to spread music and happiness
- promote volunteerism and multiculturalism in Canada through involvement with Harmony Guzheng Ensemble
The outcome of the Guzheng lesson help me become a more patient and calmer person. Similar to every instrument that exists in this world, in the musical world of Guzheng, students will often find themselves to accelerate in their learning in the beginning, reaching a standard of "good". However, as their compositions become more challenging, there will appear a lag in their journey of reaching "excellency". In this process I learned that one should tolerate feelings of disappointment because people cannot be perfect, and that to achieve excellence people need to invest time and effort.
I am still on my way to accomplish my goal of finishing grade 10 (the highest level) in Guzheng. Right now I am in grade 7 of Guzheng, I believe that with hard work and a positive and consistent work ethic I can achieve that goal in the upcoming future.
3. What would you do differently if you did this activity again?
- I will not stop this activity, it will be continued as I enter university
- My next goal is to collaborate with different instrumentalists (eg. Erhu, flute, Yangqin) to form a small ensemble -> start Youtube channel or live performances
I am still involved in this activity and I will continue it when I enter university. I want to collaborate with different traditional Chinese instruments in the future, and perhaps start a Youtube channel or live performances to share the auditory joy of inter-musical collaborations.
4. Describe how this activity represents Creativity, Action, and/or Service.
It represents Creativity because it allows me to be creative in expressing emotions through musical instruments It also lets me understand music better and be more open and appreciative to non-traditional and traditional music.
5. Which of the following learning outcomes have you addressed with this activity? (choose all that
apply)
+Undertaking new challenges
+Planning and initiating activities
+Working collaboratively with others
+Showing perseverance and commitment in your activities
+Considering the ethical implications of your actions
+Developing new skills
How does the activity address these learning outcomes?
By learning new songs I am not challenging myself to take up greater challenges and avoid feeling shallow satisfaction from confining myself to being proud of what I am already good at. By going to Guzheng lessons and I am introduced to event planning where I need to work collaboratively with others to sort out how the music should be played and produce constructive criticism. My 6 years long term involvement demonstrates my perseverance and commitment. Through continuing to practice my instrument, I am able to preserve myself as a person who can inherit my unique Chinese culture while also accepting the Canadian culture. I can also pursue volunteerism and promote multiculturalism through playing my instrument at various performances, be it duet or solo. For example, at Celebrate Western it helps me celebrate Western's achievement and pride, while at LNY I use my music to celebrate the unique importance of lunar new year to different Asian cultures. By performing at Last but not least by learning the Guzheng I learned more playing techniques.
Me performing at Celebrate Western 2013.
No comments:
Post a Comment