Wednesday, 10 April 2013

Participation in the Chess Club


Date of this reflection: April 10th, 2013
Date(s) of CAS Activity: Every Wednesday at lunch throughout Gr. 11 and Gr. 12
Title of Activity: Playing Chess in Chess Club
Number of hours spent on this activity: 24 hours in total

1. Briefly describe the CAS activity. Who did you work for? What did you hope to accomplish?
On every Wednesday during lunch I would attend Chess club meetings and play different kinds of Chess with my peers. I didn't have to work for anyone, I hope to improve my Chess skill and challenge myself.
Celine and I playing Chess. 

2. What was the outcome of the activity? Did you accomplish your goals?

  • Upgraded chess skill
  • Made more friends
  • Reconfirm the importance of Teamwork; having more brains can lead one to a solution faster

3. What would you do differently if you did this activity again?

  • Be more involved
  • Join Chess competitions outside of school
  • Introduce more friends to Chess- take on a more assertive role

4. Describe how this activity represents Creativity, Action, and/or Service.

  • Creativity: Inventing different ways to approach Chess, realizing the importance of creative thinking 

5. Which learning outcomes have you addressed with this activity?
+Increasing your awareness of your own strengths and areas for growth
+Undertaking new challenges
+Working collaboratively with others
+Showing perseverance and commitment in your activities
+Developing new skills

How does the activity address these learning outcomes?
The activity addresses these learning outcomes primarily through the development of my Chess skill. By maintaining my attendance to Chess Club, I eventually feel a sense of accomplishment and pride in the significant improvement I gained in Chess. My interaction with other Chess club members also shows that teamwork is essential sometimes because the presence of other people can give one competition, support, and sources for success. For example, not only did I gain valuable advices from my Chess Club members, I also learned a lot of interesting facts about the sciences because all the nerds are in the Chess Club.
Dante Louie, Executive of Chess Club, guiding me to victory...

No comments:

Post a Comment