Title of Activity: Magic Club
Number of hours spent on this activity: 15 hours
1. Briefly describe the CAS activity. Who did you work for? What did you hope to accomplish?
I worked for the Western Canada Magic Club and attend it every Tuesday at lunch. I hope to gain some volunteer experience, learn new magic tricks, and also have some fun.
2. What was the outcome of the activity? Did you accomplish your goals?
- Learned magic tricks
- Made new friends
- Volunteer to sell tickets- learned how product promotion and advertising works
- Be a salesperson
- Learn different approaches to raise awareness regarding a cause (In our case fundraising for African schools)
- Successfully hosted Western's first Magic Show, and fundraise around $100 dollars for the Northern Magic Fund, which is an NGO that builds schools for local residents in Kenya
3. What would you do differently if you did this activity again?
- Be more proactive
- Show other people more tricks
- Plan more events for Magic Club
- Involve more people into the fundraising advertising group such that more fund can be raised
4. Describe how this activity represents Creativity, Action, and/or Service.
- Represents Creativity by learning new Magic tricks and presenting the Magic Show
- Learned new ways to fund-raise and advertise for cause, and this a form of Service
- Contributing to the well-being of schoolmates through entertainment and to the well-beings of African children, this is Service as well
5. Which of the following learning outcomes have you addressed with this activity? (choose all that
apply)
+Increasing your awareness of your own strengths and areas for growth
+Undertaking new challenges
+Planning and initiating activities
+Working collaboratively with others
+Showing perseverance and commitment in your activities
+Engaging with issues of global importance
+Considering the ethical implications of your actions
+Developing new skills
How does the activity address these learning outcomes
Through selling Magic Show tickets I learned that I am actually good at persuading others into paying money, and that I am not afraid to do "shameless advertising." This is one new skill that I obtained along with the new magic tricks that I learned. By being responsible for selling tickets for the Show, I am directly involved in the planning of the Show. I worked collaboratively with other executives to discuss ways of advertisement, and also help with the sequence of the show program. By being a faithful attendee to the Magic Club every week, I show perseverance and commitment. Fundraising pushes Magic Club beyond being perceived as for one's self enjoyment only, and it allows people to realize that even entertainment such as Magic can make a difference in someone else's lives if it is put to right use.
Selling tickets for Magic Club
After the Magic Show


No comments:
Post a Comment