Title of Activity: Lifesaving lessons/volunteers
Number of hours spent on this activity: 200+
1. Briefly describe the CAS activity. Who did you work for? What did you hope to accomplish?
I took lessons from the City of Calgary Recreations. I hope to learn valuable lifesaving skills and to become a Swim Instructor and Lifeguard.
2. What was the outcome of the activity? Did you accomplish your goals?
- Certified in Standard First Aid & AED
- Certified in National Lifeguard Service- Pool (Certified as a Pool Lifeguard)
- Started volunteering at Foothill Aquatic Centre with instructors, gaining teaching experience from direct interaction in lessons
- After taking Swim For Life Instructor in July, I will accomplish my goal of being certified as a Swim Instructor and will look for jobs
3. What would you do differently if you did this activity again?
- I would Skip Bronze Star because it wasn't a necessary prerequisite to do Bronze Medallion
- I would start volunteering with the City of Calgary earlier to gain discounts on recreational courses
- I would work as a camp leader for City of Calgary because I met a lot of amazing volunteers from Calgary Recreation
4. Describe how this activity represents Creativity, Action, and/or Service.
- Represents Action because physical workouts were a mandatory part of the swim courses
- Represents Service because by learning the lifesaving skills and acquiring the lifesaving positions, I am held responsible for the lives of those who are swimming in the pool
- Represents Service because I need to teach students the correct lifesaving techniques
5. Which of the following learning outcomes have you addressed with this activity? (choose all that
apply)
+Increasing your awareness of your own strengths and areas for growth
+Undertaking new challenges
+Planning and initiating activities
+Working collaboratively with others
+Showing perseverance and commitment in your activities
+Considering the ethical implications of your actions
+Developing new skills
How does the activity address these learning outcomes
This activity addresses these learning outcomes through direct practice, so that I can realize which actions are not suitable for rescue and which ones are . Through partnership with other student I understood that lifeguarding is a collaborative effort. I understood that being a lifeguard is not only a job to be adorned because of its good pay, but also because of the heavy responsibilities that lie before a lifeguard. As a certified lifeguard I know that I have the power to save a person and that I should hold on to that power and never let negligence happen.
No comments:
Post a Comment